Kitchen Garden Tips


This is the way my kitchen garden will look when I am able to give it some more time.  I have dozens of hosta plants which I have collected for at least twenty years.

I also have the wood ferns which grow wild here in the Missouri Ozarks.  Granted those are not herbs but they are great for filling in greenery in an herb garden.

I have three birdbaths which I will string out along this path and I'll plant these herbs because we use these herbs daily:
  • lemon mint for my tea
  • basil 
  • parsley which we use on everything
  • thyme
  • lavender for my tea
  • and others if I can find some.

I had to leave my herb garden when we moved six months ago and will need to start over but at least this time I know what to do to make it perfect:
  • start the garden close to the kitchen door for convenience
  • make it easy to walk through
  • make it very easy to water
  • make sure it gets at least 6 hours of golden sunlight
  • use lots of garden containers for convenience and movement