Recipe Box Beauty


Even folks who seldom cook often have a recipe box.  I found this photo of an old recipe box online.  I choose it because it is identical to the one my mother used.  Mom put the recipe she was going to use in the lid, the way it looks here.  She would set the recipe box with her chosen recipe out on the counter early in the day.  Then she built her day around her choice. 
My grandma, on the other hand, never had a recipe for anything and although she had measuring cups and spoons, I seldom saw her use them.


For a long time I thought Grandma was almost magical the way she could go in her big white country kitchen, cabinet doors would open and dishes would clatter gently, then I'd smell something real good baking, and as if by magic a beautiful three-layer chocolate cake would be cooling near her west kitchen window.